Can CBD and cannabis affect coronavirus?
This article was created based on the expertise of Dr Dani Gordon of whether cannabis and CBD can affect contracting or recovering from COVID-19, or coronavirus.
The biggest question being asked around is how CBD and medical cannabis may affect contracting or recovering from COVID-19, and about what else we can do to stay in good health.
People are asking if marijuana and CBD can help improve our immune system against getting and developing symptoms of the coronavirus?
What about the fact that anti-inflammatory drugs may have a negative effect on the virus once you are infected and the fact that CBD is anti-inflammatory too, so what does that mean for CBD?
It is still unclear what the relationship is between anti-inflammatory drugs and the coronavirus, if there is one. However, many doctors are still recommending sticking to Acetaminophen for the fever for now and avoiding NSAID over the counter drugs until they figure out the full picture.
CBD, cannabis and coronavirus
Regarding CBD and cannabis, there are no current studies showing it has any effect on the coronavirus, although there are some interesting studies on medical cannabis use and HIV progression.
These days on social media, many CBD and cannabis advocates are claiming that they boosted their immunity successfully using cannabis or CBD, and urge others to do the same.
It is very important to let people know the facts but also let them know what we don’t know. It’s also critical not to propagate false claims when we are all a bit scared, and of course want to do everything we can to protect ourselves..
There is no ‘miracle cure’ that some members of the cannabis community can sometimes claim, even when well-intentioned, these claims can have harmful effects on people and also degrade the industry as promoting ‘snake oils.’
We know that plant medicines like CBD and cannabis do so many amazing things that there is no need to stretch the truth and make false claims that cannot be backed up, at least not at the moment.
How can you support our immune systems?
The best way that you can support your immunity is by:
- Avoiding alcohol
- Staying active while we stay home (dance parties in the living room anyone works too)
- Taking up a simple relaxation or meditation practice to decrease stress hormones.
- Supplementing with adaptogen mushrooms, along with liposomal glutathione (this would help support the liver).
- Eating a diet rich in micronutrients, zinc, vitamin C, flavonoids like quercetin (in both cannabis and apples)
- Getting good sleep (Melatonin, our sleep hormone made while we sleep can help healthy immune function)
- Deep breathing practices and laughter have a positive effect on our immune systems too (So, you can feel like you have done your daily immune system boost by putting on a funny film and having a good laugh to get those lungs working during your confinement)
Even if you do everything you can to stay isolated and healthy, you may still end up getting coronavirus, but the good news is that most people will have mild symptoms and can recover at home. Some people may not even have any symptoms which is why social distancing, for everybody, is so important.